No more plastic or paper cups could be seen at LWA – let’s use reusable cups or bottles
Posted on Friday, September 7th, 2018
We support plastic free campaign, therefore you will not find plastic or paper cups next to a water machine at the Academy. As you know, we have lot’s of mugs in the kitchen to use for tea/coffee, you can use them in case you don’t have reusable water bottle.
Here are our top 6 reasons for ditching single-use plastic water bottles for good, and switching to a reusable water bottle instead…
1. Producing plastic water bottles, filling them up, and transporting them to where they are going to be sold is expensive, and uses up valuable natural resources in an unsustainable way.
2. Plastic water bottles leach harmful chemical toxins into water, especially when exposed to heat and light, which is unfortunately where they are most likely to be drunk (e.g. a hot sunny day on the beach).
3. Once the contents have been drunk, single-use plastic water bottles create mountains of waste that don’t go away. Every single piece of plastic ever created still exists somewhere on this planet!
4. Even if you try to recycle your plastic water bottles, only a fraction will be recycled. The vast majority end up clogging our landfills (which have finite space) littering the countryside, eventually making their way to the waterways and ocean.
5. Once plastic water bottles are in the environment, they are a hazard to birds, marine wildlife and fish who become entangled or choked, or starved on a diet of plastic bottle tops and broken down plastic pieces.
6. Time in the ocean breaks plastic down into tiny toxic particles known as a plastic smog. This smog attracts and absorbs other pollutants, and micro-plastic is mistaken for food by fish, where it enters our food chain. read more